One of the things that we've celebrated as a family in the past week was Mr. Man's birthday! He certainly had a crazy week with knee surgery and a few other things, so I felt like he deserved a great cake to end the week. He absolutely loves key lime pies, so I decided to do a slight variation of that and make a key lime pound cake. It was DELICIOUS (at least he said so and I agreed!).
If you have a sweets lover in your house, give this recipe try! You won't be disappointed and it's the perfect way to enjoy a few more weeks of summer with a citrusy treat!
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup fresh key lime juice (I couldn't find fresh key limes, so I used unsweetened bottled key lime juice)
- Key lime glaze (recipe follows)
Preparation and Baking Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour your tube pan.
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, until just blended.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until just blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla, lime zest and lime juice. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325 for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove.
- Prepare key lime glaze and immediately brush over top and sides of cake. Cool completely before serving.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh key lime juice (I used bottled again)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together powdered sugar, key lime juice and vanilla until smooth. Use immediately.
This cake was relatively easy to put together and has held up nicely for quite a few days! The Babe may have even snagged a few bites herself and she seems to endorse it, too.
Thanks for sharing in Mr. Man's birthday celebration...Maybe you'll be inspired to make one of his favorite new desserts, too! Do you have a favorite birthday cake recipe you'd love to share? I would love to hear from you!